Monday, February 07, 2011

My New Car!

Sadly - my Explorer did not survive the fire.  I'm STILL bummed about that!  I planned to drive that thing until the doors fell off.  They burned off, does that count? 

For weeks I have wondered why I was so bummed about losing that Explorer.  I mean, it was JUST a vehicle.  A mode of transportation.  A tool.  A gas guzzler.  But I think I've figured out why I am so sad about the loss.  Our cars don't define us - but what we do with them does. 

1.  It was paid for. 'nuff said!
2.  It was the first new vehicle that Mike and I bought together.
3.  We brought both of our babies home from the hospital in that Explorer.
4.  We spent a stormy night of camping in it with Chad and Jodi.  We played cards in the back and we still laugh about that night.
5.  It has taken on us on many adventures - from biking to hiking to boating.
6.  It still looked new despite being a 2004 our despite our bad luck!
7.  There are a few funny stories too - like the time I threw it into park, turned it off and ran into daycare  with the keys still in it.  Turns out, it wasn't quite in park and rolled out of the driveway an in to a parked car!  In my defense, there was a malfunction in the steering column that made me think it was in park when it really wasn't! 
8.  Or the time Mike was backing up a really small trailer.  The trailer jackknifed, but he couldn't see it to know it had until he crunched in the rear quarter panel!
9.  Or the not so fun time - when golf ball and baseball sized hail hit Rochester about two and a half years ago.  Madison and I sat in the Explorer along Highway 14 and cried as our beloved truck was pelted with the hail.  We were afraid the windows would break, but the glass held and we were safe.
10.  Mike called it the Canyonero.  *Simpson's fans will get this one!

So - it almost feels like this is closing one chapter on our life and starting another when we weren't quite ready to say goodbye. We made a lot of memories with that SUV and I will be very sad on the day they pull it out of our burned out garage and haul it away.  You can bet I will be there to bid it a final goodbye.

But, like Kid Rock says, you have to Roll On, Roll On Roller coaster.  So, we had to move on to new things!  I really did not want another car - its tough going back after driving an SUV!  The threat of $5 per gallon gas forced me to be a little more fuel conscious with my car purchase.  I give you: 

The 2010 Ford Fusion SE in Sterling Gray.  It's not brand new, but almost!

What I like:
1. The gas mileage!  On my first trip to the cabin we got 30 MPG!
2.  The pretty blue dash lights.  Seriously mesmerizing.
3.  The V6 - It's a pretty fun to drive family sedan.  I bet I would get better gas mileage if I didn't enjoy that V6 quite so much.
4.  The Color. 
5.  I no longer need a telescoping snow brush to clean off the windshield.
6.  It's still pretty much paid for - or at least it will be once all the insurance stuff gets settled in the next few months. 

I'm not crazy about the fact that it does not have automatic lights or a thermometer -- but I'm getting used to that!  So far I really do like the car and we have not noticed the lack of a large place in back to haul stuff. 

No comments: