Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Books


I LOVE BOOKS!!

Doesn't her face say it all? Nana and Grandpa Tigue sent Madison a Pooh backpack with Disney books in it. She was so excited to put that backpack on! Seeing her proudly put that thing on her back and stand up tall made my mind fast forward to her first day of kindergarten. Wow! She is growing up fast and she is only twelve months old!

I was worried about letting Madison play with the books - since they are "real" books and not board books. I was afraid she would get excited and tear the pages, but she sat so nicely looking at the pages and commenting in her klingon language about each page while pointing to the pictures. She likes to sit in my lap at night drinking a sippy cup of milk while I read the stories to her.

We have been signing with Madison and it is so much fun to see her learn new ways to communicate. "Milk" was her first sign. Everytime we gave her a bottle (now a sippy cup) of milk, we would make the sign and say "milk." It took about three months for her to figure it out. One night she was crying and I asked her what was wrong. Her little hand was squeezing over and over again, like milking a cow. I asked if she wanted milk and she stopped crying! It's amazing how quickly she is learning signs now. She signs "more" and "eat." We are working on "touch no" as well. We used the book Sign With Your Baby by Joseph Garcia. There is also a video set called signing time that has been recommended to me. You can find them at www.signingtime.com.

No comments: