Silly me - I forgot that this is the kid that is afraid of snow.
Turns out - on her first day of swimming lessons, she was also afraid of water. This is Madison on her first day of swimming lessons:
She was really excited when she first saw the pool. She looked like she wanted to jump right in. As we got closer and closer to the time to get in the pool, she became more and more apprehensive.
She looks a little nervous here.
Then, she SCREAMS. She kept on screaming until the class was over, 30 minutes later.
I was really upset that Madison did not like swimming lessons. I was so embarrased that my kid was the ONLY one that screamed through the entire first class. I think she was one of the oldest kids in the 9-18 month age group too. I kept thinking it was going to be a long five weeks of lessons and a very long summer on the boat with a kid that hates the water.
Still, I took her to the next lesson - with fear in my heart. Miraculously - she LOVED it. HUH? I don't get it. How could she hate every minute of her first lesson and then have so much fun at the next one? I guess its just like oatmeal. Three weeks ago, she LOVED oatmeal...and now, for no reason at all, she hates it.
After her second lesson - Madison was blowing bubbles in the water, playing with beach balls and noodles, and kicking her legs like a little frog. By the third lesson, the only thing she didn't like was floating on her back. She cried when it was time to get out of the pool.
Maybe it won't be such a long summer after all. Hopefully she'll see the lake as a giant pool and love it as much as she has grown to love swimming lessons!



1 comment:
I'm glad she finally liked it! How great you were able to get some pictures of the whole thing - when she's a life guard or Olympic swimmer you can pull these out and say remember when!
Post a Comment