These pictures are priceless. I just LOVE the single tear that is rolling down Madison's cheek.



Time outs DO work. When I first decided it was time to start using time outs, I did not think Madison would ever sit on that little timeout stool. Never in a million years. I even looked for straps to attach to it so I could buckle her in. No luck. This is how I got it to work:

When Madison's behavior is unacceptable, she gets one warning to correct it. If it her behavior does not change, it's time out. The experts (SUPERNANNY) say you should give children one minute for every year old. I swear by just about everything Supernanny does (she ROCKS!) but I disagree on this one. One minute will not do it for Madison. She gets two minutes. I set a timer. When the timer goes off, I explain to Madison what she did wrong, give her a hug and its back to playing. If she gets up during her timeout, she gets two more minutes added on to her "sentence." She rarely gets up. The first time I used a timeout, I stood near her and put her back on the stool every time she got up. I did not say a word to her. Now, I can leave the room and know that Madison will still be sitting on that stool when I come back.
1 comment:
How cool that you were able to get a picture of this! She'll be so embarrassed when she gets older! ;) Good for you to not be afraid to give time outs. She'll be better for it in the long run - even though it's probably torture for you!
Post a Comment