
That's what they look like on the pan - but indeed they are not reindeer turds. They are one of my favorite Christmas Cookies. When I was a kid, my Mom would always make Peanut Butter Blossoms around Christmas time. They were a small peanut butter-ish cookie with a chocolate star in the middle. I loved them because the chocolate star was always so YUMMY.
They take a little bit of time to make and being a mom that works full time and goes to school, I needed a Christmas cookie that was a little less putzy. I found this recipe for Fudge Blossoms and made it for the first time last Christmas. It is a similar cookie with the chocolate star in the middle but by using a cake mix, it is very quick and easy to make! They are also so chocolatey that if you go over board and eat too many, you'll learn to never do it again. (that's good for the waistline!)
On the way to daycare today Madison started talking about "tookies." She must have had a craving. Since she has been a bit of a challenge at daycare lately (lots of time outs and she seems to be a bit of a bossy-bully) I told Madison we could make cookies tonight if she was a good girl at daycare.
It worked. At the end of the day, Dianne said she was a much better girl today. So, Madison and I made Fudge Blossoms.
Judging from this picture, do you think she liked them?

Fudge Blossoms
1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp water
3/4 to 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional - why ruin good chocolate with nuts?)
48 chocolate star candies
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut butter into cake mix in large bowl until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg and water until well blended. It will seem kind of dry.
2. Shape dough into 1/2-inch balls; roll in walnuts, pressing nuts gently into dough. Place about 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake cookies 12 minutes or until puffed and nearly set. Place chocolate star in center of each cookie; bake 1 minute more. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies from baking sheet to wire racks to cook completely.
The recipe says it makes 4 dozen cookies but it's a pretty whimpy little cookie. I usually get about 2 dozen.
No comments:
Post a Comment