Monday, November 30, 2009

Goodbye College Fund



My sweet Madison has once again made me laugh uncontrollably with the things that she says.  Last Wednesday she purposely broke another child's toy at daycare.  As I learned about the incident from our provider the following went down:

Mommy:  Madison!  Why would you do such a thing?  I'm very disappointed in you.  You'll have to take the money from your piggy bank to buy C a new truck.
Madison: But that money is for college!

I had to hide a giggle.  It would have been cute if I weren't so upset with her.  Our provider also had to hide her face in an effort to not laugh.

The conversation continued in the car:

Madison:  Mommy!  I want to go to college.  If I have to buy a new toy I can't go to college.
Mommy:  Well, you should have thought about that before you broke C's toy.
Madison: But I want to go to college!
Mommy:  I guess now you'll have to only go to community college instead of university.  That's too bad.

I later emailed the child's mother to get more information on the toy.  She has since fixed the toy and all is forgiven, but I haven't told Madison yet.  I'm letting her worry about not being able to go to college. 

Mean, I know. 

I still might make her take the money and buy a toy for someone less fortunate.  One way or another, she'll learn that she can't break other people's toys. 

Just for fun, I bring up the piggy bank and her college fund from time to time.  The disappointment in her face and voice is unchanged.  I know it is eating at her. 

Is it wrong that this is so much fun for me?

2 comments:

DawnNick said...

I LOVE IT! We love to pick on Karly like this too. I know it is wrong but it is way too funny... I guess we are both a little twisted since freaking out our kids is something we enjoy doing!

DawnNick said...

nn