Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The controversy, weighing in

**update** http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl A great article from ESPN about who really caused this whole mess. *****


By the time I actually get this written and posted, Brett Favre will probably be a Jet, a Bucanner, or worse yet, a Viking. GASP.

When I watched Brett Favre's tearful retirement press conference, I knew in my heart that he wasn't done. Something just didn't seem right with the whole thing. He had just come off the best season of his career, with the same team back the next season and he was hanging up the cleats?

I have loved watching Brett Favre play over the years and can't imagine watching a game at Lambeau Fiedl without seeing #4 out there. (I usually watch for his cute butt!) When I first heard rumors of Brett wanting to come back, I was angry with him. Didn't he realize he was tarnishing his legacy? I felt that he had made a decision and that he should stick with it. Maybe he should coach or go into broadcasting.

As the controversy has unfolded, my opinion has changed. Although I feel badly for Aaron Rogers I think the best team should be put out on the field. I honestly believe that the best team includes Brett Favre. Sure, he is getting older and he throws some interceptions now and then, but that is because he is not afraid to take risks to get the job done. The spectacular plays that we cheer for on Sunday afternoons are the result of risk taking - and they don't happen without some interceptions. It is clear that Brett Favre is the best quarterback in the league and probably one of the best to ever play the game.

He has strung them along with retirement talk for the past few years. I think the media has created the suspense more than Brett Favre ever did. I can see the Packer's need to move on - but Brett is a legend. If he wants to and can play, put him on the field!

I remember when the Packers were the team in the league that everyone made fun of. They were terrible. It took guts and tough skin to be a Packer fan (I wasn't a fan back then!) If you look at Lambeau Field, it is a beautiful stadium with an amazing renovation that not only updated the stadium but kept its historical charm. That stadium was renovated because of Brett Favre. They would not have been able to accomplish that renovation without the support of the fans that Brett Favre brought to the game.

Whether or not you are a Brett Favre fan, you have to admit that he has always made the game fun to watch. I have some friends that are Vikings fans that have absolutely despised him. I wonder if their tune will change is Brett starts sporting a purple #4? I can't imagine seeing Brett Favre in a uniform that isn't green and gold. I would hate to see him enter the hall of fame as a Viking or a Jet or a Bucaneer.

If the Packers don't wake up soon and just put him on the field, that is exactly what could happen.

When I travel to Green Bay on September 8 for the first Monday night football game of the season, against the Vikings no less, I hope to see Brett Favre on the field, wearing a green #4.

2 comments:

Yasemin said...

The Packers need to wake up before he ends up coached by annoying 1 hit wonder Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay which could use a great quarterback! You can picture Jon Gruden foaming at the mouth, his dyed blonde hair growing grey roots hoping for this dream to become real.

Even more annoying would be seeing him at Minnesota going like 0-11.

Nicole said...

The only reason I'd like to see him with the Vikings is to make Packer fans mad! But everyone knows he can't play in the dome, so he really wouldn't work for them.