Thursday, July 03, 2008

A Scary Night!

Madison's bedroom is on a different level of the house than our's. With a good baby monitor, it never bothered me. However, now that she is more mobile at night, I'm a little worried!

Last night I woke up at about 2:30 am. It was warm in the room so I kicked the covers off and stretched out my legs. When I did that, I felt something at the end of the bed. I thought it was the cat, but she didn't move like she normally does when I kick her in my sleep. I got up and found Madison, asleep at the end of our bed. At some point between me going to bed at 11pm and waking up at 2:30, she wandered up to our room and crawled in bed.

This scares me! I didn't hear her get up, even though I had the baby monitor on. I didn't hear her come up the stairs and I didn't even feel her climb into bed - and it's quite a struggle for her to get up on our bed.

I have always been worried about her going out the front door while we're sleeping - too many kids are found frozen in snowbanks around here because they wander out at night and nobody finds them until morning. Sso a few weeks ago we installed a very simple door alarm on our front door. It has a key that allows you to arm the alarm when you want it armed. The thing makes the most awful sound if the door is opened while it is armed. It serves two purposes - it will alert us if the little monkey wanders outside and it would make any would-be intruder wish he had chosen the next door neighbor's house.

I think I will be spending some time doing even more kid-proofing in our house! I want to make sure there is nothing that Madison can get into if she should happen to start wandering the house while we're sleeping!

1 comment:

Yasemin said...

Yikes that sounds really scary Tracy! I had no idea that kids wandered off like that-I never hear news stories like that down here but that's great that you installed something to prevent it. I hope things get better for you-it sounds pretty exhausting with the pregnancy, work, and wondering if she'll get out!