Friday, July 18, 2008

Yummy Taco Salad

I LOVE taco salad. Quite often, the only way to get a good one is to pay eight bucks for one at a restaurant. You know the kind of taco salad too - the ones in the super-greasy-defeats-the-purpose-of-eating a salad crunchy bowls.

I usually only eat a few bites of the bowl because the stuff inside the bowl is what is good!

I found a great way to make the salads with a much less greasy bowl at home! realsimple.com gave me the idea and all you need is a good deep mixing bowl, flour tortillas, and fat free cooking spray!

Turn your oven on to broil
Using burito sized flour tortillas, spray both sides with the cooking spray. I used a butter flavored spray.
Using a small or medium glass mixing bowl, press the tortilla into the bowl so it takes on the shape of the bowl.
Pop the bowl and tortilla in the oven and broil until brown and crispy. Carefully turn the tortilla over inside the bowl and brown the bottom side until brown and crispy.

Add your favorite taco salad fixings!

We used ground beef with taco seasoning, bagged salad (who has time to chop lettuce???), tomatos, cheddar or taco flavored shredded cheese, sliced black olives, and sour cream. Adding mexicorn and/or black beans would be really good too!

Things I learned while making my taco salad: Use the largest flour tortillas you can find. I used regular 8 inch and they were too small. We each ended up eating two! Also, use a deep bowl. A cereal bowl won't make a good tortilla salad bowl, it's too shallow. Serve with cornbread - it makes the whole meal just a bit more filling.

Madison loved it and Mike said it was a definite "make again." So, I will be adding this to our regular meal rotation! Also - you can use the leftover ground beef and flour tortillas the next day for soft shell tacos. I love it when you get two meals out of the work!

1 comment:

Yasemin said...

Sounds like another winner for us working moms! I'll try it sometime next week.