Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stubborn Ponies

Did I mention Kamp Dels offers pony rides? I rode a pony ONCE. I was in about 6th grade and our Church was having a fall festival. You know the kind – you get an awesome pork chop dinner, play bingo (because all good Lutherans gamble!), try to win cakes on the cake walk, and then buy someone else’s old junk at the church auction. I was at that age where boys were kind of interesting – and there was a cute older boy leading the ponies. My mom gave me money for a ride.

The pony stood a mere two feet off the ground. Thinking I was all that and a bag of chips, I got on one side of the pony and rolled right off the other side! I landed on my butt in the dirt (‘prolly in some pony poop too!) and was completely MORTIFIED. My life could have depended on getting back on that darn pony - I would have asked pastor to dig my grave and lead everyone in a rousing rendition of Amazing Grace before I climbed back on. After that incident, I was dubbed “Annie Oakley” and have been called that every time I go back to that little old country church! I’m not sure why I was called that, Annie Oakley was a drunken sharp shooter but I’m pretty sure she could ride a horse!

Madison does not come from good riding stock.

We thought it would be fun for Madison to ride one of the ponies at Kamp Dels. It was $10 bucks for a 30 minute ride – and we got to lead the pony. We could go anywhere in the campground.

Mike led the pony while I snapped pictures with the Blackberry. Madison was having a blast. Heather and Terry also led a pony for their little boy, Riley. From the very start, they had trouble with their pony stopping to eat the clover that was growing in the grass.

Our pony seemed to be doing pretty well though.

That is, until we went by the petting zoo.

Suddenly, this little pony decided he was not going to walk anymore. We had ten minutes of our ride left and knew we needed to get back to the barn (The main office) to turn the pony in or be charged more.

The horse kept pulling back towards the petting zoo. Mike tried to pull the horse in the other direction. The horse started to whiney uncontrollably. A crowd of nearby campers started to gather. They were laughing. At us. Mike kept pulling the pony in the direction of the office, time was running out. The pony kept pulling towards a barn.

Madison got scared and wanted off. NOW.

People around us kept laughing.

I was laughing – but I tried not to. Mike has a tendency to walk away in these sorts of situations and laughing only hastens his departure. I didn’t want to be left with an infant in a stroller, a scared three year and a stubborn pony. Amazingly enough, he handled it really well. He kept making jokes and trying to get the dumb stubborn pony to move. He didn’t have any luck.

So, we gave up.

Mike tied the pony to a horse tether and we walked away.

He went to the office to let them know where we had left the pony.

Apparently, this is a known issue with the ponies. Near the end of the day, they have a tendency to recognize the petting zoo as home and a good feed bag of hay – so they refuse to continue. That would have been good to know BEFORE we walked in the direction of the petting zoo.

Poor Riley had the same problem with his pony. His seemed to follow whatever ours did – so when our pony became stubborn, so did his.

I have a feeling Madison won’t be riding horses again either.

No comments: