Thursday, August 28, 2008

A crazy morning

I could never carpool to work with my husband. Never. I would probably be one of those people that intentionally runs over their spouse after an argument. Well - I probably wouldn't actually do it, but the thought would cross my mind. I am a morning person, I like to get up early and get going. Mike is the opposite and will stay in bed until the last possible moment. Even though I am a morning person, I like to be BY MYSELF. I don't like to talk or interact with others for a little while and I think it would be easier if everyone would just leave me alone for an hour. If you can't leave me alone, do as your asked and see things my way.

Our truck is in the body shop right now. Thankfully, we all have daycare and work within two miles of home, so it's fairly easy for us to all ride together and then pick each other up for lunch if we need to.

We are on day two of the family carpool and I must say, I'm thankfull that we can afford to have two cars!

It was a typical morning in our house. I'm trying to get us out the door, Mike is putting the trash on the curb, and Madison is supposed to be getting in her carseat. I tell her to get in the car and she says she wants to run through the wet grass. I pick her up and carry her kicking and screaming to the car and she starts to cry - Mike starts to grumble and complain that all Madison and I do is fight. I just ignore it all in an effort to get us on the road so we have time to stop for gas before the hurricane drives up the prices again. There was even a brief argument about whether it made sense to stop for gas first or drop off Madison first. I won and we dropped off Madison first. (DUH, daycare is on the way to the Kwik Trip, why drive past daycare to get gas first???)

The short ride is tense with Madison still crying that she couldn't run through the wet grass. Mike is just crabby and grumbles about everything. I think he snaps at one or both of us a few times. I'm quiet - just trying to go with the flow and ignore it all.

When we got gas, I got Mike a coffee but didn't notice that the lid was cracked a bit. Mike's parting words to me were "next time you get me coffee, make sure the %^$& lid isn't cracked." Again, I just ignore it. Life is too short to fight. He was grumpy and I knew it was a battle that I wouldn't win. I finally get everyone to where they need to be and I am the one left with the car. I have a meeting first thing and when I get back to my office, there is an email from Mike. The subject is "Grumpy."

Uh-Oh, I think....what is this about???

The body of the email says this:

Boy you were grumpy this AM. You are lucky I was in such an easy going mood, as always.

Now, most people would get mad at an email like this. I laughed out loud at my desk. I know that this is the closest thing to an apology that I'm going to get. I do wonder, however, if there is any way I can get that body shop to complete the work on the truck any faster.

1 comment:

Yasemin said...

Tracy,

I can't tell you how similar these experiences are to mine! By the way, I loved that email and it all sounds very familiar. Really funny!

Mohamad is also a total night person, he even drives for the limo service and dispatches and loves to stay out all night if he can. He hasn't wanted to find a new job despite 5 yrs of marriage because no matter what Arab guys are all the same, they want to own their own small business, can't wake up at 7, don't respect America and corporate culture, blah, blah, blah. He can't understand why I'd want to work for Dell, I mean how dare they not let me come in when I feel like it he says. Basically, lazy!

Everytime we've carpooled, he's the same way as Mike was today. He has to turn off my favorite mornings with Bill O'Reilly and Dr Laura radio, and demands total silence. And then he similarly acts like I'm the one who's moody.