Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Crafty Shortcomings

Sorry. Life has gotten in the way of keeping up with the blog challenge! I’m only about 5 days behind. Maybe there is still some hope for catching up?

I was inspired today by another blogger participating in the 30 day blogging challenge, The Vosberg View. Jill talks about how she feels like a failure as a mother because she is not crafty (and has little desire to be) then goes on to discuss how she overcame that by inventing a fun and definitely crafty scavenger hunt for her and her son. (BTW, would LOVE to see pictures of the finished product!) As I read the post, I was forced to think about my own craftiness and my shortcomings in that regard.

I’m quite the opposite of Jill. I am quite crafty and I want to be crafty. In fact, others might even say I’m talented in that regard. I love to put colors and textures together. I love to create whether it be with my hands and scrapbook paper, or with images on my computer, or even with fabric (MHS quilt club, anyone???). I have a laundry room of shelves that is chock full of scrapbooking supplies (my true crafty passion), a hard drive full of photos and journals full of page layout ideas, sketches, and journaling. I love to make gifts for my friends and family because homemade gifts truly come from the heart. I get my creative side from my Mom, without a doubt.

I can wander for hours through Archiver’s, Joanne Fabrics, and Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby is my favorite for their amazing prices and for the endless inspiration that I find in their stores! Then there are the local scrapbook stores here in the Med City – again, I could fill up my cart and empty my pocket book in a hurry. Michaels – not so much. I just do not find that store inspiring. Sorry fans of Michael’s – I am spoiled by Hobby Lobby!

So, how am I a failure in my craftiness?

I rarely make time to celebrate and honor my craftiness. My scrapbooks are not even close to current. The pictures frames on the walls at home – do not contain pictures of Cameron. I just haven’t gotten around to it. I MUST get on that soon before he recognizes this and ends up on a shrink’s couch with a complex caused by this. He is nearly two and will begin to notice this shortcoming VERY soon! I have piles of half completed projects on my craft desk. I have endless lists of craft related things I want to do. I rarely find time to plan and do creative projects with Madison and Cameron (although Madison loves to do “praw-jects!”!).  I feel my spirit being pulled towards all things creative and then I feel let down because I simply cannot find the time. Sadly, that let-down can sometimes border on resentment.

There are noses to wipe, diapers to change, boo-boo’s to kiss, laundry to fold, dishes to wash, floors to scrub, dogs to feed and bathe, husband to spend time with, bills to pay, and investments to make. There are a million things that seem to require my attention more than my need to create.

And I can feel something missing in my soul as a result.

After a weekend of crafting, or even an evening of it, I always feel so much better. It is like the feeling of peace that you get after leaving Worship at Church. Like my soul has been filled and my spirit renewed.

So, my blogging friends, I ask all of you; how do you find the time to do the things that renew your spirit? Which of the spinning plates do you let fall to do those things, whether it be craftiness, spending time with those that you love, or pursuing other things that you enjoy?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

tehee - just re-read. Make that singular - HUSBAND to spend time with. Sheesh..

Michele said...

Well Tracy, I think this is the ultimate struggle of women. Never enough to do all we want to do! I used to scrapbook and enjoyed it as a creative outlet for myself. But, I'm sad to say that I have not scrapbooked for over 3 years now. I pulled out the kids books this weekend and they loved looking at them and the guilt set on me...... If you find the answer, let me know :) I'm thinking the key is to love what you are doing no matter what it is you're doing....cleaning with your family or making cookies with your daughter or driving in the car by yourself. (I love Hobby Lobby as well! But, the only one I know of is in Bismarck ND!)

Tracy said...

GREAT point, Michele!

Oh - and there is a HL down here in Rochester...it's a short trip! Just remember, they are closed on Sunday.

Mom, Dad, Grant and Dylan said...

I actually am signed up for a scrapbook retreat this weekend here in town. There is a craft store in town locally owned who hosts weekend retreats almost once a month during the winter. It's great because you come and go as you please but are able to leave all of your stuff there! It's open from 8am to midnight Fri and sat and 8-3 on Sunday! It's my mini getaway and I get to enjoy doing something I love, but can also still spend time at home! We also have a Hobby Lobby here in Fargo!!!! So michele, if you ever want to travel this way! hahah! I find after I make time for these things, I feel so refreshed! So Tracy, if that's what you love to do, make a date to do it! See if your hubby would even take the kids out of the house for a few hours and you just sit and be crafty!!! Good luck ladies!