Monday, September 06, 2010

Reactions to Elmo - Compare and Contrast

Although I am probably damaging my kids for life, I LOVE to compare their personalities, reactions, and the things they do.  It must be fun because, while these two looked excatly alike as babies (right down to the crazy hair!), they are complete opposites.

Madison = drama queen
Cameron = Easy going, laid back, go with the flow.

See what I mean? 

Cameron has recently discovered a love for books (more on that in another post!).  Through that love for books, he has come to know Elmo and has become obsessed.  O.B.S.E.S.S.E.D.  He suddenly loves everything Elmo.

So, in an effort to provide him with toys featuring the character he loves, I have been scouring our house for Elmo related stuff.  I spied the tenth anniversary Tickle Me Elmo on a shelf.  You know the one...each time you press his belly,  his giggles get progressively cuter.  You can't help but smile  as you hear him giggle, especially when he turns over on his stomach and pounds the floor with his hand.  

Next time you're in a bad mood?  Drag out the tenth anniversary Tickle Me Elmo.  It will brighten you day for far less money than retail therapy, alcohol therapy, or the real kind of therapy that involves, well therapists.

So, I dusted off the Tickle Me Elmo and raided Mike's battery stash.  I proudly set Tickle Me Elmo down in front of Cameron and eagerly awaited his  reaction.

He pointed to Elmo.  "Mel-Mo," he said.

Oh this is gonna be good, I thought.

I remembered Madison's reaction when she received him for Christmas.  I think she was just over a year old....

We had searched high and low for this Elmo - he was THE toy that Christmas.  A friend finally found him at a Toy's 'R Us in South Dakota.  He was the last present for Madison to open.

As she got the wrapping tore off, she SQUEALED the moment that she saw the first hint of red fur.

SQUEALED.  It was complete and utter delight.

It was the reaction that every parent hopes for when they give their child a gift.

I don't know why I thought it would be the same with Cameron.  Because Cameron is NOTHING like his sister.

Cameron was standing next to me, as I sat on the floor.

I reached across and tickled that adorable fuzzy red belly. 

Elmo started to giggle.  He giggled until he fell to the floor, sat up again, and leaned forward to stand up.

As I am watching Elmo and giggling to myself, Cameron is FREAKING out.  The kid clamored into my lap and proceeded to climb up my chest, grabbing me around my neck and head and trying to climb farther.  All in an effort to escape the crazed furry red Elmo.


"No Mel-Mo," he sobbed as he stuck his finger in his mouth and drooled.  "No Mel-Mo!"

He looked a little like this picture...

So what did I do?  I kept tickling Tickle Me Elmo, of course.  Because we all know it gets funnier each time.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Way to scar your child for life! Ha! That is a cute story!