I haven't posted much lately because I've been busy wrapping up another class towards my MBA. Now that it is done - I have a lot to catch up on! So, to round out today's blog marathon, I wanted to share an awesome recipe that I found.
I'm no foodie. I can't come up with recipes on my own. I do, however, really like to cook. I like to find recipes that use basic ingredients, are somewhat healthy, and are easy to cook and freeze. I like to stock my freezer up with home made frozen meals to make cooking during the week fast and easy. I do not require that my recipes be all natural ingredients or organic or anything like that - but I do like to make them as healthy as I can and as inexpensive as possible.
I came across a chicken noodle soup recipe a few weeks ago on Becky Higgin's blog. http://www.beckyhiggins.com/recipes/ For those of you that do not know Becky, she is an amazing scrapbooker and has a monthly sketch column in Creating Keepsakes magazine. She has written numerous books and has even designed a line of storage products with Lisa Bearnson. I follow her blog because I like the food she makes and I love her home decorating ideas.
Anyway, since tomorrow night is going to be busy for me, I decided to try Becky's chicken noodle soup recipe. I thought soup would be quick and easy, especially if I made it today! It only took a few minutes to throw the ingredients together - and they are all basic ingredients that you are likely to have in your pantry. Towards the end of the cooking time, I decided to have a little sample taste(s). YUMMY. It is very very good. I almost decided against eating the leftover chow mein (my favorite!) that Grandma made for me. Almost. Not much will stand up to Grandma's chow mein.
So - here it is. Give it a shot! This would be a great recipe to make up and put into individual serving gladware and freeze for lunches.
Becky Higgin’s CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
2 chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 tsp. granules)
2 cans chicken broth
1 c. chopped carrots
2 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 can cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
1/4 c. milk
1/2 stick butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chopped cooked chicken (2 pieces)
4-6 oz. egg noodles
Boil chicken until fully cooked. Cook egg noodles. Dissolve 2 bouillon cubes in 1 cup boiling water. Add chicken broth and vegetables to the liquid until tender. In separate bowl, whisk 1/2 can cream of chicken soup and milk until smooth. Whisk soup and milk mixture into broth and vegetables. Melt butter then stir into flour. Add to soup mixture. Cook until veggies are soft (not mush!) Add chicken and noodles. Optional: Season to taste with salt & pepper or Schillings garlic & herb seasoning.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment