Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The weather man lies

The weather report said the weekend was going to be beautiful with highs in the 70's and a 50% chance of rain only on Sunday. A 50% chance of rain also means there is a 50% chance that it won't rain - so we thought it would be a wonderful weekend to enjoy the start of of another Minnesota summer.
I think I should become a weather forecaster. I know if I were wrong 50% of the time in my job, I'd get fired. Why does the weatherman still have a job?

Friday night was cool, but very nice. Saturday and Sunday were WINDY. Tents were blowing away and there was no hope of getting the boat in the water. The air off the water was so COLD! We spent Saturday and Sunday huddled around the campfire and bundled up! It rained briefly on Saturday night. The bad weather that parts of Minnesota and Iowa experienced on Sunday missed us, but it was still too cold to really enjoy the day. By Monday, we had enough and headed home early.

Despite the cool weather - we did enjoy ourselves. It was fun visiting with friends and relaxing away from the endless to-do list at home. For the first time, all of our fellow campers had kids. The twins, Kendall and Sydney enjoyed their first camping trip. Another set of twins, just a week younger than them visited on Saturday night. I swear, the child to adult ratio was easily 2 to 1!

Madison enjoyed the trip and each day learned to occupy herself more and more. She spent most of Sunday picking dandelions for me. It was so much fun because every few minutes she would come over with a big bunch in her sticky little hands and say, "Mommy! I picked these for you!"
She also enjoyed playing at the park. The slides are always her favorite.
She rode her trike up and down the road in front of our campsite.
She also enjoyed going in and out of the various pop-up campers that were part of our group. There was a small finger pinching incident that had me worried we were headed back to the ER in Rochester - but it healed quickly with no lasting effects.
There was also the naked two year old covered in soap running towards the street incident. I wish I had a picture. Madison was so dirty after playing in the dirt all day on Sunday, so I told her she was getting a shower. The camper we stayed in happened to have a little shower spigot on the outside, so I stripped her down and hosed her off. Right after I soaped her up, she decided she didn't want to take a shower and she darted straight towards the road. I screamed. I ran towards her and caught the slippery little bugger just before she reached the road. Thankfully, there were no cars coming but until I caught her, I didn't know that.
I think our group was probably the talk of the campground with the number of kids running around. They ranged in age from six months (the twins) to ten years old. If one kid wasn't crying, another was. All in all, it was a fun weekend to get away. Can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Chad, Jodi, Kendall and Sydney said...

It was a great weekend. It's funny how our camping trips have gone from young adults staying up way to late and enjoying some adult beverages, to a group of adults and their families. To be perfectly honest, I think I like this family thing better. It's fun to have us all together, including the kids...even if they do out number the adults!