Thursday, September 04, 2008

Gov. Palin - my thoughts

Did you watch the speech last night? I am a John McCain supporter and although I was disappointed that he did not choose Mn Gov. Tim Pawlenty, I wanted to give Gov. Palin a chance. I'm glad I did.



Senator McCain made a bold move in selecting Mrs. Palin, seemingly out of nowhere. It was a risky gamble, but after listening to her last night, I think it is a gamble that will pay off. She can easily appeal to people from all walks of life.


  • She is elegant and beautiful, yet seemed like she would be perfectly comfy in an old bar wearing jeans and a ratty old sweatshirt.

  • She spoke well and professionaly, yet her voice often had a chuckle in it that puts her audience at ease and makes you like her.

  • She is obviously powerful and determined yet she does not come across like she has a chip on her shoulder or like she needs to prove something. (A definite strength over Hilary, I must say.)

  • She wants to drill and drill now. THANK GOD. Fire up those oil rigs and give us American's some relief while we find alternative energy sources!!!

  • She let us meet her beauftiful family and shared that they have ups and downs like all American families do. She may have a big, powerful job but you can tell that her family is what is important to her. Her eyes glossed over as she introduced each one of them. Her youngest daughter, Piper, seems full of life and ate up the camera. What a sweatheart. Little Trig looks like such a tiny blessing and her husband...well, I could have watched him all night! ;)

  • She was a hockey mom - what's not to love about that? As a kid that played hockey for years and a mom realizing her kid will probably want to play hockey, I respect the early mornings at cold hockey rinks Loved her joke about the difference between hockey moms and pitbulls. She is right, the only difference is lipstick!!!

So - that is what I like about her. I am interested to watch the debates, to see how she does without a prepared speech. Last night, I felt like she was talking directly to me. Her humor made it feel like she was an old friend. Her points about the opponent were spot-on. No experience. He hasn't even authored a major bill. What does a "community organizer" do??? I'm also interested to hear the plans on health care reform.


As for the recent events with her family - I don't think they have any bearing on the campaign whatsoever. We can teach our kids right from wrong but we can't control what they actually do. It does not mean that she was a poor mother at all. Her daughter, Bristol, is lucky to have a very supportive family. I think Phil Barnes said it best a few nights ago "It doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a family." He is so right, even for those that have children when they are "ready." Bristol Palin has that and she, her fiance, and their baby will be just fine. Others have said that her youngest son Trig, is actually Bristol's. Do the math - not possible. Trig was born in April, so he is 4 1/2 months old. Bristol is 5 months along. She easily looks like she was 5 months along too. I am 5 1/2 months along and Bristol was about the same size as I am.


So - those are my thoughts on Senator McCain's choice for a running mate. I think Gov. Palin was a fine selection and indeed, it did shake things up a bit. I'm looking forward to Senator McCain's acceptance speech tonight.


What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Yasemin said...

Thanks for writing about this Tracy! I cried last night as the speech went on-just sheer delight at her ease in front of the camera, and happiness that she exposed Obama/Biden elitism. The comment about how some us change to bolster their careers and others use careers to create change was priceless.

I personally love McCain-well except for his issues with not doing anything on illegal immigration and with this choice I love him all the more!

I thought the family was a great witness for Him (God) watching Sarah hold her down's baby Levi, but also to see her pregnant daughter proud to be there and not having an abortion. What a terrific witness for life. So refreshing to see a non-Hillary even though I once was a supporter of hers-(a Reagan demorcrat if you will) so strong in her conservatism. I never thought I'd be back with this party-I loved Bill Clinton, but I could never vote for Obama.

Tracy said...

I agree on the immigration issues. I say build two 20 ft cement walls that are 100 yards apart. Fill the inside with all the dangerous man eating animals of the world and a few snipers on the American side. If they make it through alive, have a job, and speak fluent English - let 'em stay. McCain is definetely lacking on the immigration front (you'd think it would be better since he is from a border state!).

I am pretty conservative with a few liberal opinions. I too loved Bill Clinton, but could never handle Hilary. I firmly believe that Hilary is not on the ticket because if she was, Obama would find himself on the receiving end of an assasination plot. I think she is the type of person that will do whatever it takes to get what she wants. I don't trust Obama and I think he is just a pretty face nothing to back it up. I loved Giuliani's remarks about Obama in his speech last night.

Yasemin said...

I love your ideas on immigration! Like Bill O'Reilly, i think that we are unfortunately beyond the point where we can send people home to Mexico etc, so we need to create a guest worker program. If they don't commit a crime and abide by our laws, they'll be eligible after 10 years for a change in status. Most likely though we can count on them committing a crime and send them on their way :) Most importantly, we need to eliminate the anchor baby idea and make it so that an illegal that bears children can't get any change in status.

I agree that Hillary will do what it takes to get what she wants. For me, she is the lesser of two evils and the first woman candidate. Mostly though, bringing her in means bringing Bill back and Chelsea who is amazingly mature! I'm pro-life and I know Bill and Hillary won't tamper with partial birth like Obama might. I don't want Obama and his welfare push-throughs because he is the first African-American and can cater to that base. I think Obama is Muslim and knowing what I know so horribly well about that religion-let's just say I would never want a Muslim to run this country. Every stereotype is true and Obama's dad had two wives for goodness sakes! And Michelle and her lack of flag pins scares me. She seems downright evil and is too much of a departure from Laura Bush. Why can't Obama start community organizing again or chillin' with Jeremiah Wright?