The first few nights that we were at home, I was really worried about Madison. She would start sobbing at the drop of a hat, over the littlest things. The first night she clung to me when I was putting her to bed and she begged for me to cuddle with her in bed. Since it was still pretty painful to get in and out of bed, I told her that I couldn't cuddle in bed with her until I felt better. This caused her to sob and sob some more and cling to me. I asked her why she was crying and she said that she was sad because "baby brother had been crying" and then she was sad because she "Wanted a Nuk like baby Brother" and she wanted me to "cuddle her in bed." It was hard and really broke my heart to tell her that I couldn't cuddle her. This went on for a few nights. It was probably harder on me than it was on her - I went to bed in tears for a few nights just because I felt like this was just too much for her. (probably some baby blues too!)
Over the past few days, Madison has done much better. She is a big helper for Mommy! She is the first one to talk to Cameron if he is crying. She will give him his Nuk, cover him up, and give him kisses to make him happy. She even pulled out a book about baby animals today and told him all the names of the animals.
One thing that we did that has really helped is Cameron bought Madison a bath time doll. It came with a little bathtub, soaps, lotions, and even a hooded towel. So, Madison and I both give our babies baths at night. She gets so excited when it is bath night!
So - it is getting better. I still feel bad for Madison because so often she has to wait for attention until I am done feeding Cameron, or pumping, or changing Cameron. We are doing our best to carve out time that is just for her, but it is a tough balancing act!


1 comment:
I'm glad that it's starting to turn around with Madison. In a short time you'll probably walk in at night and find her covering her baby brother with blankets and putting stuffed animals in his crib so he won't be lonely since it sounds like she's already headed in that direction. I think it was probably a temporary shock to her system what with a new brother, Christmas, and daycares closing for the holidays in such a short time.
Post a Comment