Christmas this year, is going to be fun. Madison is at an age where the magical side of Christmas is just fascinating to her! We started our Christmas season on Thanksgiving night by decorating. She had a lot of fun with that - looking at the ornaments, asking what they mean and where they came from. She helped set up the Nativity and the Santa Claus.
On Friday, we all snuggled in our bed to watch The Polar Express on TV. Madison likes watching movies, but she rarely sits through an entire movie. She was completely entranced by this movie. She did not take her eyes off the screen and was upset when commercials came on. I think she really learned to believe in the magic as well. She kept saying that the little boy could hear the bell because he believed. She was really sad when the little boy discovered he had lost the bell and excited when he found it under the Christmas tree. She was sad again when his dad and mom couldn't hear the bell at the end.
This week, ABC has Christmas specials on almost every night. Madison and I have a standing date all this week in which we will cuddle and watch the specials together. I remember how my mom always made a big deal out of the Christmas specials on TV - and that is what I'm trying to do for Madison. It's fun to anticipate the shows, make some hot cocoa and a special little treat to share. It's also the perfect way to get in a little extra one on one time before Madison's world is turned upside down by her baby brother.
This weekend, Santa will be coming to Rochester. There is a tradition here of Santa getting stranded on the roof of the old city hall - and the fire department has to rush in with the ladder trucks to save him! There will be carriage rides, the rescue of Santa, stories with Mrs. Claus, and finally pictures of Santa. We won't forget the free cookies and cocoa either! I am hoping the weather isn't too cold so Madison can enjoy the festivities. On Sunday, a Holiday Train is coming through town. It comes in after dark, all lit up in Christmas lights. Santa will be on the train and there will be lots of singing. Madison loves trains and will be especially excited to see it after having just watched the Polar Express. I think she will enjoy it!
We are starting a new tradition this year as well. Actually, we are just continuing a tradition. My Grandma always gave the great grand kids new warm jammies for Christmas. Those kids always looked forward to the new jammies at the Christmas party and would take off their Holiday dress clothes, right there in front of everyone, to put on their new jammies! (The family has gotten so large, our holiday party was held at the Monticello Legion, so there were lots of locals there too!) We plan to continue this tradition and give Madison her new Holiday Jammies on Christmas Eve. She will probably get them at the Hospital, since thats where I plan to be spending my Christmas Eve.
I'm thinking of starting a new tradition too. Have you ever heard of the Elf on the Shelf? You can buy this little guy and the book to go with him just about anywhere (Amazon, Hallmark, etc.). He is a retro looking little elf that shows up after Thanksgiving. He is Santa's eyes and ears - he reports to Santa if you've been good or bad. The idea is to hide the elf somewhere in the house each morning - the first thing the kids do is look for the elf. I've heard lots of cute stories about the fun that families have with the Elf on the Shelf. I think I might have to pick one up either this year or next year and start the new tradition.
What Holiday traditions are you celebrating right now?
No comments:
Post a Comment