Friday, December 05, 2008

Thankful

These are tough economic times. I think nearly everyone is feeling the pinch in one way or another. I've felt it at the grocery store the most. Over the summer, we really felt it at the gas pump.

This is a time when most people are just thankful to have a job, period.

Forget about special perks, bonuses, and raises. Mike and I have just been happy to have somewhere to go each day that results in a direct deposit every two weeks.

There are a lot of really cool things about working for Mayo Clinic. There is the Healthy Living Center, a state of the art fitness center for employees. As an employee, you play a small part in the cutting edge medical discoveries that happen here every day. There are the people that you meet from all over the world that come here for hope. There is the Children's R&R, sick daycare. There is the backup daycare for when yours is closed. Don't forget we also receive the best medical care in the world. The list is endless. I'm really lucky to work where I work.

Mayo Clinic also gives the more than 50,000 employees a raise each year. It is based upon industry standards, with a goal to pay more than the standard.

The Clinic has not been immune to the current economic climate. Patient traffic is down because people can't afford to travel here. Medicare pays less and less each year as more and more people begin receiving medicare. There is even a hiring freeze right now. These are challenging times, even for Mayo.

Many employees did not even expect to receive a raise in 2009. With the economic forcast the way it was, many were just happy knowing they had a lot more job security than people that work for other companies. Today, we received word that the employees will receive a 3.8% pay raise in 2009.

When asked why the employees were getting raises when the forcasts were so grim, the response was because the employees are what keep this place running. Happy employees leads to happy patients, better outcomes, and more money coming in the door. The employees are too important to this organization to not give a pay raise.

Wow.

After working in several places where employees are not treated as an asset, I am really really blessed. I have always been proud to work here - but I am even more proud when they try to take care of the employees, despite tough times all around.

I am very very lucky and thankful.

No comments: