Friday, October 10, 2008

Bad Mommy Moments

Do you ever have those days where it is just so hard being a mom? Last Saturday was that day for me. UGH. As all moms know, when you are expecting, you might feel great one day and really crummy the next. Last Saturday, I had a list of things to do that was a mile long but I was exhausted and not feeling that great. I was just trying to get through it all the best that I could.

Madison can zero in on that in a second.

This kid has a sixth sense that tells her when I am too tired to be the active and patient parent that I try to be. She capitalizes on it!

When I have a lot to do I either try to involve Madison or find her something to keep her occupied. Saturday, I tried a little of both. It didn't work. She would not listen to me for anything and I was just too tired for patience. I found myself having one of those days where I felt like I was constantly snapping at her, losing my patience, and cleaning up messes that were NOT part of my plan. (I HATE when I have to do things that are not part of my plan, ask anyone that knows me about my Franklin planner.)

Since Mike and I were headed to Green Bay for Sunday's game, I dropped Madison off at her Grandparents on Saturday night. I walked out feeling like I desperately needed a day off from being a mom. Funny how when you get that day, all you do is think about your kids!

The events of the previous day nagged at me the entire time we were in Green Bay. I knew they probably bothered me far more than they bothered or even affected Madison, but they bothered me the same.

We got home late that night but Madison was still up waiting for us. Mike and I always argue over who gets the first hug. Although I wanted and probably needed the first hug, I thought for sure Mike was getting it this time. Much to my surprise, Madison squirmed away from her dad when he tried to hug her and came straight to me.

Ahhh...just what a tired mom needs!

After spending a little time sharing cupcakes with Madison, I helped her get ready for bed. I still wasn't over the events of the previous day.

So we had the following conversation:
Mommy: Madison, we had a tough day yesterday, didn't we?
Madison: What do you mean?
Mommy: I mean, I was really crabby and you weren't listening very well. So, we just had a bad day.
Madison: Mommy, we both did it!
Mommy: I'm sorry I was crabby and yelled at you
Madison: I sowwy too, Mommy

Ahhhh. I still really have no idea if she understood that I felt bad for not being in the best of moods the day before, but the way she said "We both did it!" just warmed my heart. Does she truly understand that we all have bad days from time to time and that it doesn't mean we love each other any less?

I know there will probably be more days like this in the future. The best thing we can do after a day like that is evaluate how we reacted and just go back to the basics. Say you're sorry and try harder the next time.

I am happy to say that this week has been awesome after such a hard Saturday!

No comments: