Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daddy's Girl or Mommy's Girl?

After reading Jodi's blog posting http://dobbelaerefamilymoments.blogspot.com/2008/10/mommys-girldaddys-girl.html, I started thinking about whether or not Madison is a Daddy's girl or a Mommy's girl.

I've decided it depends on what her needs are.

I don't think it was always that way. I think when she was younger she was definetely a Mommy's girl. She went through a stage where she would cry if Daddy tried to hold her instead of Mommy. Now she has learned who she will have the best luck with.

For instance, if she wants pop, she knows to ask her Dad.
If she wants a cookie, Mom is the way to go.

A few weeks ago, I was watching Mike and Madison rough housing and playing around. He had her giggling endlessly. (A sound I love to hear!) I was feeling kind of sad, because Madison and I don't have that kind of playful relationship. I tend to get the "work" part of it. The nuturing, the bathing, clothing, the mom I want some cereal kind of work. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that I get a lot more of those sweet moments. They are just buried in the work and you have to stop and look for them. I'm the one that gets to smell her clean hair after a bath and I get the sticky kisses after a bowl of cereal or a glass of milk. I get to snuggle close when we read a story. I get to hear "Mommy, *fake cough* I'm sick *fake cough* do you want to cuddle me while I fall asleep?" I'm the one that she comes clean to when she gets a timeout at daycare or if she doesn't quite make it to the potty in time.

I love how she has learned to be a Daddy's girl or Mommy's girl, depending on what suits her best. If she wants something out of her Dad, she can be easily persuaded to say "Daddy, you're the best!" She also will try to gain her daddy's approval by making fun of Mommy by saying "Mommy, your tummy is chubby."

Uh...thanks. That's a BABY in there. (no, it isn't cookies or chocolate shakes....ok, maybe a little of it is!)

She will also pit us against one another. (I thought you had to be outnumbered for the kids to outsmart you????) Madison will say "Daddy, I want a cookie."
Daddy will say "no cookies, its almost dinner time."
Madison comes back with: "but Mommy said..." in the cutest three year old whine you have ever heard.

So - is she a Daddy's girl or a Mommy's girl? It depends on the day.

No comments: